Thursday, March 3, 2011

Hotel Spotlight: Colony Palms Hotel

The Colony Palms Hotel first grabbed my attention in Bali of all places.  Too much adrenaline after traveling through multiple time zones, date lines, and countries left me wide awake on that first night flipping through TV channels.  

I came across a show that was featuring a "new" hotel in Palm Springs.  When U.S. shows air abroad, you can never be sure whether it is current or 10 years old!  Turns out the hotel was built in 2007.  

The owner/developer Steve Ohren was collaborating with designer Martyn Lawrence-Bullard to renovate a hotel that used to be a vacation spot for young Hollywood royalty in eras past, but had now fallen into disrepair.  His vision was a Moroccan inspired oasis that rivaled the new crop of downtown Palm Springs hotels.



I was fixated on the show, and couldn't believe I had never heard of the hotel, especially since I frequent Palm Springs at least a couple times a year.  Somehow this gem had slipped under my radar, losing out to the flashier and quirkier hotels like the Viceroy, Parker, Ace, and Riviera. 



I finally got a chance to see the hotel with my own eyes on my recent trip.   I am drawn to a globally influenced style, but was wary of a Moroccan themed hotel, wondering how it would jive with the typical Palm Springs mid century modern or Hollywood Regency look.  Upon driving up to the entrance I understood the concept, with the Spanish Colonial exterior, the globally inspired interior more than worked, it wowed.  


There is a speakeasy below that Ohren had discussed renovating on the TV show, but I discovered that this didn't come to pass as it failed inspection.  I took solace in being able to hang out at the restaurant bar decorated in a soothing green and purple palette with palm trees adorning the walls.


The hotel has garnered rave reviews and I was immediately entranced with the cozy lobby, plunking down on the plush couches and chairs, we ended up spending hours talking before dinner.  I would love to return with my husband: small and intimate it would make quite the romantic retreat.

Images via Colony Palms Hotel

2 comments:

  1. This hotel is absolutely stunning! I would total do an event there. love it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi all,

    The colony palms hotel features 56 guest rooms and suites, gracious courtyards and stunning mountain views. The hotel, has regained its swagger as a stunning four-star boutique. Thanks a lot!

    ReplyDelete